List:       elecraft
Subject:    Re: [Elecraft] Suggestions??
From:       Rich Arland <k7sz () live ! com>
Date:       2018-01-30 4:09:31

Thanks Bob and all the others who responded.

I figured that the KX2 internal ATU and SWR/PWR meter was giving me the "match" \
between the 50 ohm of the rig and the QRP SWR/PWR meter and that I had a problem with \
the 40M EDZ which has been up for over 9 years.

I removed the QRP meter from the equation and the KX2 ATU gave me a 1.2-1 match on \
the EDZ, at which time I went out to the tower and checked the balun on the end of \
the 450 ohm window line. While it was hooked up correctly and there were no broken \
wires, when I looked at the feed point on the mast on the roof it looked like one of \
the feed line wires was either broken or otherwise hanging out in mid air. Now at \
least I have a probable cause for the strange RF readings.

Since it is pretty nice weather here in my area I am planning on shooting a line into \
one of the 100 ft trees on the edge of our property and string up an end fed wire of \
some non-resonant length and use this until I can get some local club members \
together and replace the entire 40M EDZ and hang it on the tower at about 60-65 ft! \
Oh, there will be a counterpoise on the end fed wire!

Has anyone on this group ever modeled a long, non-resonant end fed wire \
w/counterpoise that can give me some idea of how directional they are (or aren't)?  I \
need to get a copy of EL-NEC!

Vy 73 es gud DX!

Rich Arland   K7SZ
Bent Dipole Ranch, Dacula, GA
Author: "ARRL's Low Power Communications, the Art and Science of QRP" (all 4 \
editions)

Cogito ergo CQ (I think therefore, I HAM)
http://commobunker.blogspot.com/