List:       elecraft
Subject:    [Elecraft] python k3 interface
From:       Mike Markowski <mike.ab3ap () gmail ! com>
Date:       2017-12-31 20:55:06

Happy 2018, fellow Elecrafters!

This note shares nothing earth shattering, but something I find much
more useful than expected.  Using python, a super simple programming
language, I just wrote a small k3 library of commands do simple things
like retrieve or set frequency, keyer speed, enter/leave no-Tx mode, and
so on.  Maybe an hour or two of programming.  As you need more commands
you simply tack on more to your code.  A sample run - whose source code
any interested are welcome to - with comments is below.  But programmers
can easily write their own in short order.  Wayne (et al.?) have made it
a snap.

73 es HNY,
Mike ab3ap

ab3ap$ k3
k3$ a   <-- Where is VFO A tuned?
7030.000 kHz
k3$ a 7025   <-- Tune VFO A to 7025 kHz
k3$ a   <-- Verify
7025.000 kHz
k3$ b   <-- VFO B?
7045.000 kHz
k3$ a 7025 1.3   <-- Set VFO A to SPLIT
k3$ b
7026.300 kHz
k3$ a 7025 0   <-- Leave SPLIT operation
k3$ k   <-- Keyer speed?
25 wpm
k3$ k 20   <-- Set keyer speed
k3$ k
20 wpm
k3$ p   <-- Power?
5 W
k3$ p 10
k3$ p
10 W
k3$ S   <-- Serial number?
SN 4516
k3$ date   <-- Pass unknown commands to shell.
Sun Dec 31 15:50:17 EST 2017
k3$