List:       elecraft
Subject:    Re: [Elecraft] Baud rates and more baud rates.
From:       Don Wilhelm <donwilh () embarqmail ! com>
Date:       2017-09-28 19:08:56

Jim,

Take a look at all the other RS-232 devices in your system - and that
includes software applications.  Look specifically at the baud rate.
Then set the K3 and P3, your COM ports, and other devices to the same
rate.  It should be the highest rate supported by your equipment and
applications - so the response times are the fastest they can be and
will not interfere with normal operation.

There is no benefit to be gained by running at a lower rate, that will
only take longer for the responses to flow between boxes.

What I am saying is that if everything but one or two boxes is capable
of 38,400, but you have one whose top rate is 19,200, then you should
set everything to 19,200.

Normally set the COM port for the highest speed it can handle and let it
go at that.  The application(s) will usually throttle the communications
back as necessary.

I don't know why the K3 defaults to 4800 baud, it is certainly capable
of 38,400.

73,
Don W3FPR