List:       elecraft
Subject:    [Elecraft] Battery Life KX2 vs KX3, and Maximizing Battery Life
From:       Jim Brown <jim () audiosystemsgroup ! com>
Date:       2016-06-30 19:21:19

On Thu,6/30/2016 11:43 AM, Doug Turnbull wrote:
> Have you any rough idea as to battery life comparison for KX2 and KX3 - I realize \
> this is a difficult question.

Looking at the specs, current draw for both TX and RX appear to be the
same for both rigs, so I would expect battery life to be essentially the
same for equal TX power and how much you TX.

Some thoughts on maximizing battery life. (I know Doug knows this, but
this is for others).

First, S&P results in less TX time.

Second, keep transmissions short. When calling someone, don't send his
call, just send yours once or twice. If no response, call again.

Third, when calling CQ, keep CQs short. For general operation, never do
more than a 4x2 or 4x3 (that is, 4 CQs and sign your call two or three
times). I NEVER answer a loooooong CQ.  :)

Fourth, NEVER sign /QRP. It wastes time, and burns battery. You're
already weak, use your battery and propagation to send the important
stuff, like your call, QTH, and contest exchange if any. And during a
contest, few contesters are going answer a station signing /QRP.

Fifth, NEVER send again anything that the other station has copied
correctly. For example, if he has your call right, don't send it again
(except at the end of a long QSO).

Sixth, if you're mountain-topping or something similar, don't call CQ
when you finish a QSO, just sign your call (and the summit ID if there
is one) and see if anyone calls you. If no calls, THEN call CQ.

73, Jim K9YC