List:       elecraft
Subject:    Re: [Elecraft] K3 and Kenwood MC-90 desk mic
From:       Graham Pemberton <grahampemberton312 () btinternet ! com>
Date:       2014-09-30 15:47:11

HI Ray,

Many thanks for your reply, yes you are correct it is a dynamic mic and I h=
ave made the relevant changes in the K3 menu, I=92ve had a couple of QSO=92=
s on 40m this afternoon with UK stations and received some very good report=
s on my audio.

Regards
Graham G7NEH
Chester UK
IO83OE

On 30 Sep 2014, at 13:48, Ray Sills <raysills3@verizon.net> wrote:

> Hi Graham:
> =

> I do not have that mic, but I'd suspect it is a dynamic mic.  If so, you =
do not need to use mic bias for it to work.  Outside of that, it would be a=
 matter of having the proper connector to mate with your K3, and proper con=
nections inside the connector... which may be different from what Kenwood u=
ses for their gear.  You could wire up an adapter, should you want to keep =
the mic and connector in original condition.
> =

> A good feature of the K3 is the ability to tailor the audio response to a=
ccommodate various mics and operator voices.   Most users recommend reducin=
g the response to low frequencies, by setting the first two EQ bands to the=
 lowest value.  Experimentation will likely be the key, and you can monitor=
 the audio yourself... and ask for critical reports, preferably from a loca=
l station.
> =

> 73 de Ray
> K2ULR
> KX3 #211
> =

> =

> On Sep 30, 2014, at 8:25 AM, Graham Pemberton wrote:
> =

>> Hi all,
>> =

>> Sorry if this is off topic, I have just got a kenwood MC-90 desk mic and=
 am planning to use it on my K3, has anybody else had any experience with t=
his microphone and are there any settings I should alter on the radio.