List:       elecraft
Subject:    [Elecraft] P3 problem - was Problem retrieving FW
From:       "James C. Hall, MD" <heartdoc () nwtcc ! com>
Date:       2014-06-30 14:18:38

Thanks to Dick for pointing me to manual FW loading. This worked very well and I now \
have both my K3 and P3's FW updated.

The reason I felt this was necessary:

Our Field Day was one typhoon after another with multiple heavy downpours and \
thunder/lightning. Through multiple shutdowns, our FD team faced this adversity well \
and we made the best of it - and had fun. We did however sustain some minor damage \
thought to be due to lightning bursts. Our digital station consists of my K3 / P3 \
with TXBPF filters, LDG 200 tuner, and an early model MH Microkeyer. The pre-FD \
checks were perfect. However, just before tee-time, when we turned everything on, we \
noticed that the computer was not seeing audio and the P3 showed no signal activity \
even though the radio was fine and signals were multiple.

Despite all attempts, we were left with trying a FW update. I took the K3 / P3 home \
and did this. However, the P3 still does not see signals. I put my signal generator \
on the K3 at 50 uV and still no signal seen. Taking just the K3 back to the FD site, \
I hooked things up without the P3, hoping the audio issue would be corrected. No \
dice. The Microkeyer appears to be damaged as well. The audio was redirected directly \
from the computer to the radio, bypassing the Microkeyer, and that worked fine.

Bottom line is I need to get my P3 fixed and maybe I can get an out-of-production \
Microkeyer fixed as well. Ideas ?

73, Jamie
WB4YDL

Sent from my iPad