List:       elecraft
Subject:    Re: [Elecraft] Signal analysis with the P3
From:       F5vjc <foxfive.vjc () gmail ! com>
Date:       2014-04-30 7:45:57

Interesting,

So, given a decent mic insert the overall audio response is very much
coloured by the housing of the the insert...

Close talking a mic gives a better S/N ratio, less background noise and
room colouration, but yields too much bass due to proximity effect?

How to overcome too much bass (besides moving further from the mic)?

What effect do pop shields and the various muffs have on the sound?
.
I do understand and practice Tx audio EQ to restrict the Tx BW to 2.8-3kHz
and attenuate useless audio below say 200Hz. for maximum communications
efficiency.

I'm interested in good communications microphones and technique, but not in
spending, silly money (hundreds, thousands) when a decent mic insert can be
 had for pennies, (almost).

I'm not interested in ESSB, done well or otherwise.

A good clean  3KHz SSB signal stands out and is very noticeable on our
bands today.

There are some very knowledgeable audio and broadcast people on this list
and I'm always keen to listen to their opinions.

73, F5VJC