List:       elecraft
Subject:    Re: [Elecraft] Going Portable with KX/0 mini
From:       Mitch_Wolfson_DJØQN <dj0qn () gmx ! net>
Date:       2014-04-29 16:18:44

Hi Hugh,

There are actually quite a few using a RemoteRig system over 3G. Here =

are some tips on settings to optimize for 3G and low-bandwidth conditions:

3G Checklist
------------------
Try reducing your bandwidth to a minimum and changing some parameters to =

compensate
for a poor line. Here are some tips:

1) These are important:
- audio quality to 0 (half the bandwidth of codec 2 and more than =

adequate for SSB & CW)
- turn continuous RTP on or set RTP to continuous (depending upon =

firmware version)
- If using the K3 Twin or Yaesu with a second receiver, then turn off =

"audio dual-rx" on the
    radio RRC under the radio settings. This doubles the necessary =

bandwidth if on.

2) Play around with these 3 until you are satisfied:
- increase rx jitter buffer to min 12+
- increase rx jitter delay to min 10+
- audio packet size 20 or 40

3) Use 9600 for your COM0 instead of what Elecraft says in the manual, =

faster is not necessary. Also
make sure that serial port COM1 is turned off if not used for CAT, or =

that it is set to the minimum
bps necessary to handle the CAT serial communication (9600 is fine).

Note that you will find it easier when you set the control RRC to use =

DHCP if you move between different
networks. Then you won't have to manually set the IP number, etc.

73,
Mitch DJ0QN

Mitch Wolfson
DJ=D8QN / K7DX
Neubiberger Str. 21, 85640 Putzbrunn
Skype: mitchwo - Home:+49 89 32152700 - Mobile:+49 172 8374436
Echolink: 3001 - IRLP: 5378