List:       elecraft
Subject:    Re: [Elecraft] 6m......just my thoughts
From:       "Donald Butler" <n5lz () comcast ! net>
Date:       2014-02-27 18:37:30

This OT 6 meter thread has been beaten to death and is probably ready to
be retired so I have just a couple points and I'll quit.  The magic band
has always been there, and has always been lots of fun.  Like many
others, I have enjoyed 6M since the late 1970s.  I would have been bored
to death if I had worked 6M only, but it has always been a fun place to
go during Spring months for the annual sporadic-E season.  Up until the
late 1990s, a dedicated 6 meter rig was needed to get on the band, so
most hams never bothered to give it a go and the band was always lonely
even in the Spring.  During that era, a guy who just tuned and never
called CQ would likely miss most band openings and would naively think
the band was always dead (without anyone transmitting a hot band will
always sound dead!.  Yes, there were a few beacons then, but not as many
as today.  The game changed in the late 1990s when new HF transceivers
came with 6 meter capability, and suddenly everyone was on the band,
openings were easier to find, and very few openings have been overlooked
since.  So that's the way it is today.   6M is great fun .. But if you
want to enjoy ham radio on a daily or weekly basis year-round, you
really need to allocate time to the other HF bands.

Don, N5LZ