List:       elecraft
Subject:    Re: [Elecraft] Using iMic with KX3 and mains freq interference
From:       Richardson Brian <vk3ccr () gmail ! com>
Date:       2013-08-30 0:59:19

Reply to Julie KT4JR,

I use iMic with KX3 and it appears as another audio source to the PC which you select \
in FlDigi or Mix-W or whatever you choose to use.

I did however suffer from power line frequency bars on the trace due to ground loops \
via the PC power supply but they were eliminated by inserting a pair of miniature \
audio transformers into the I/Q lines from the KX3 (taking care to maintain the \
relative phase of these signals).

With the transformers in place everything worked perfectly.  I used transformers \
recovered from other equipment so ran a frequency response/impedance measurement to \
satisfy myself of their suitabiity and the ones I used had a frequency response from \
< 20 hz to > 150KHz and I tried 600:600 ohm and 150:150 ohm transformers and it did \
not seem to make a difference.  A friend offered some which when checked had a \
frequency response way outside the audio band as they came from digital modems and \
were unsuitable.  If you are not sure then purchase new ones.

Regards,
Brian  VK3CCRRegards,
Brian

Regards, Brian - VK3CCR