List:       elecraft
Subject:    Re: [Elecraft] KX3 AM-breakthrough (RX ISO)
From:       "Ron D'Eau Claire" <ron () cobi ! biz>
Date:       2013-07-29 18:05:47

Is the preamplifier off and the attenuator on?

With a large antenna the preamplifier is certainly not needed and enabling
the attenuator usually won't hurt the sensitivity at all.

If you are not sure, use the basic test to determine if any sensitivity loss
is occurring: disconnect the external antenna. If the noise level drops by
an S-unit or so, you have all the gain your KX3 can use. Any more just
reduces the dynamic range making the receiver more susceptible to overload.

73 Ron AC7AC

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net