List:       elecraft
Subject:    Re: [Elecraft] Elecraft's Races
From:       Tony Estep <esteptony () gmail ! com>
Date:       2012-10-30 20:18:57

On Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 1:58 PM, Bill W4ZV <btippett@alum.mit.edu> wrote:

> 1.  When will the K3 catch the K2?
> 2.  When will the KX3 catch the K3?
>
> ...great product design, good marketing and outstanding product support...

============

Very pithy post. If I had to boil down everything about why hams love
Elecraft gear to one driving factor, I would say that it is so successful
because it is designed by hams who operate. They work QRP, portable, DX,
ragchew, VHF, and of course Field Day. They design their equipment to do
all those things, and they use it themselves. I have owned some gear that
was designed by no-code ragchewers, some that was designed by RF engineers
who specialize in commercial radio, and some that was designed by computer
users. The designer's lack of on-air operating experience was sadly evident
when the gear was fired up at my qth. Equipment with glaring oversights
went into production because the designers had never really tested it in
the way it would be used in the shacks of others. Untested products are the
bane of modern techno-life -- a sin of which Elecraft is innocent. And they
have reaped the just rewards for delivering products that make their users
happy.

Tony KT0NY

--
http://www.isb.edu/faculty/facultydir.aspx?ddlFaculty=352