List:       elecraft
Subject:    Re: [Elecraft] UK Re-seller
From:       KD0RVF <dwasmer () q ! com>
Date:       2012-05-31 0:33:12

KENT TRIMBLE wrote

> purchase something over the internet [and find yourself] living in
> communities as blighted as Detroit.

This thread is way off topic (Ham) and getting into politically areas more
suited to Facebook.  This is practice is also frowned upon.  I am
reluctantly jumping into the fray only because I cannot let some statements
go unchallenged.  Detroit's blighted condition has NOTHING to do with people
buying locally, even if by local you mean Americans buying US made products.
Detroit is blighted because of government taxation, regulation and the
government's strong arm support of the labor monopoly (unions).  If
government would get out of the way, Detroit could rebound in just a few
years.  Perhaps they could start producing the products people buy from the
Internet.  Dallas has a thriving economy in the midst of an economic
depression even though Texas oil wells are producing a fraction of what they
used to.  The reason is the governments of Texas and Dallas are not standing
in the way of businesses.

Having said all that, I do agree completely with David Christ.  If you walk
into a store and notice the prices are higher than what you are willing to
pay, then you should immediately exit the establishment.  To do anything
less is theft.  If you want to buy online, fine.  But don't steal the time
or resources of a business you have no intention of patronizing.