List:       elecraft
Subject:    Re: [Elecraft] K2/K3 Noise Blanker
From:       AJSOENKE () aol ! com
Date:       2007-09-29 15:37:34

We used to have a Gaffers and Sattlers Range back in the 70s that had a  110V
gas valve relay. It made a horrendous hash noise for the duration of a
firing, between 10 and 30 seconds depending on the temperature setting, and it  was
longer when first turned on. My point is - check for AC line connected
appliances and other equipment and track down the source. Unless you know for a
fact it is an ARC welder, it could be practically anything that throws an arc.
It may be very easy to fix. It may also save your home if it is a faulty
wiring  in an outlet on something like an AC or refrigerator. ( Ex boss of mine
lost his  home when a loose wire on his refrigerators plug - jack overheated ).
In  any event, you shouldn't have to pay the consequences of industrial noise.
If  someone next door is running a factory in their garage and its zoned
residential  he's committing a zoning violation and can be stopped.

I may seem a  little agro about this, but how many of us don't have a tower
up  for that  very reason?

Back to the gas range - this was fun - A ham in LA, friend  of mine knew the
owner Sattler and asked him about this. Of course he laughed,  said they'd
never be able to do anything about that.  I was thinking  lawsuit for will
violation of part 15, but that was a hassle. I lived in a tract  full of these
monsters, all installed between 1970 and 1973. I could tell who  was using their
oven, and because of the timing the temperature told me most  likely what they
were cooking.  I asked a few neighbors,when they had  something in the oven,
when they'd be done with the roast they were cooking or  chicken they were
baking and they would look at me in utter astonishment. It  wasn't long before I
ripped out the oven in our house and placed it out on the  curb with a sign that
said " hearing noises on the radio? TV interference?  Concerned about your
health and the potential fire hazard of the oven in your  home? do what I'm
doing!"

I swear; within 6 months most of those ovens  were gone from that tract.
Never heard of anything like it elsewhere. BTW - a  few folks admitted they
thought the TVI was my fault and some were smart enough  to wonder why the cable TV
was affected so.  Only tower complaint I ever  had was from another ham (kind
of a nut case) who was complaining about my CW  interfering with his station a
couple miles away. he'd track antenna's when they  went up and hit on anyone
that had just installed one. His problem with mine was  the feedline wasn't
even connected. He returned a few months later to complain  to my wife. . .while
I was 12,000 miles away working in Asia. Not all the  problems are non-hams!

Tnx for the BW  Al WA6VNN