List:       elecraft
Subject:    Re: [Elecraft] Best band for low cost DXing?
From:       N2EY () aol ! com
Date:       2007-09-28 22:04:03

In a message dated 9/28/07 12:15:17 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
Keith.Darwin@goodrich.com writes:

> I'm interested in the
> band that allows me (or by friend) to be a contender, not an also-ran,
> for low cost.  I'm CW and he's SSB.  I'm lucky that I have 40 and 30.

The question is, how do you define "contender" and "also-ran"? If you mean
being able to work almost as many DX stations as the Big Boys, that's
possible - it just takes more time.

But if you mean you want to beat them, or come close, without their hardware,
sorry, that's not how it works.

A lot can be done with a modest station, particularly when conditions are
good and the ham on the other end has a decent setup. But conditions aren't
always good and the ham on the other end doesn't always have a decent setup. That's
the difference.

AC7AC is right; if you want to compete in a Formula 1 race, you need a
Formula 1 car. My old 1980 VW Rabbit Diesel and its 11 gallon tank could do the Indy
500 without a pit stop - in 8 hours and change.

What I thought you were asking is how to get the most DX performance out of a
limited space and money budget. That can be done, and it's a fun quest to see
how
close you can come to the Big Guns.

73 de Jim, N2EY