List:       elecraft
Subject:    [Elecraft] RE: K2/rigblaster/heil proset
From:       "Mike Lewis" <k7mdl () hotmail ! com>
Date:       2005-01-31 3:19:06

Hi Slater,

I use the original Rigblaster interface with my K2 and Heil Pro-Set Plus.  I
chose the Elecraft K2 wiring standard.  Since I change between dynamic and
electret condenser microphones (MH-2 and Pro-Set) I install my resistors now
in the mic plug shell, not in the radio, and +5V is on pin 6 only.   On the
MH-2 the resistor connects +5V on Pin 6 to Audio on Pin 1.  Pin 6 is left
unconnected on the Pro-Set plug connector.

I have made other unrelated mods to my RigBlaster such as put a 1/8" audio 3
circuit jack in the front panel, which inside the box, I built on a small
perfboard a MAX232 based level converter for Icom CI-V comms, or in the case
of the Elecraft, I pass straight through the Serial port pins 2 and 3 (Tx
and RX data lines) since the K2 does it's own level conversion.   This way
only a single com port is required versus 2 for PTT and Rig CAT control.
Even though the K2 supports some CAT based keying which for  CW is good, the
RigBlaster audio interface requires PTT to disonnect the microphone and pass
through computer audio into the mic circuit on the radio.

You might also notice the PCB supports a board mounted 8 pin modular
receptacle.  My RigBlaster case had a round hole for the 4 pin round mic
connector, and I changed it to a modular jack for my IC-706mkIIG and later
FT-100, then finally to an 8 pin round mic connector for the Elecraft
standard wiring.

73,

Mike Lewis
K7MDL
Grid Locator CN87xt
Member of Pacific Northwest VHF Society #C96 (www.pnwvhfs.org)
Member of Microsoft Amateur Radio Club (www.microhams.com)
Visit the K7MDL Amateur Radio Pages web site at
http://mysite.verizon.net/michael_d_lewis/index.html
Elecraft K2 #2633