List:       elecraft
Subject:    [Elecraft] QRP Barbershop OCTET Contest tonight!
From:       Lloyd Lachow <llachow () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2004-09-29 15:56:13

   That's right...we might have EIGHT Barbers on hand
tonight! If you work all eight on all three bands,
you'd get 24,000 bonus points. But it's simply not
possible.

   Your Barbers:

   Joe, AA4NN, operating his club call, K5ESE. Joe's
in Delhi, LA, tonight, operating his K2 at 5W to a
center-fed Zepp at 17 feet.

   Jeff, K9ESE, in Muncie, IN, will be running his Red
Hot 40 and Red Hot 20 at 5W to a vertical end-fed Zepp
for 20 and 40 meters, and an NVIS horizontal
end-fed Zepp for 40 meters.  The NVIS antenna will be
16 feet off the ground, with a wire reflector directly
under it. Both antennas tuned with LDG Z-11 tuners. Be
tough to work Jeff on 80M tonight.

   Trev, K6ESE, will be coming to you from Los
Angeles, CA, on his K2 at 5W into an 88' EDZ inverted
vee,
40' at the apex, and 12' at the ends. The ends face
roughly North-South. His paddle will be either the
Schurr Profi II or Begali Magnetic Signature.

   Monty, N5ESE, in Austin, TX, is also running a K2
at 5W, and it's hooked up to a 40M inverted vee. I'm
ALMOST sure Monty will be in there...

   Tom, K2ESE, in  Elizabeth, NJ, one of our new
Barbers, will be using an FT-1000 MK5 (cranked down to
5 watts, of course), an Alpha Delta LB Plus dipole
(160~40 ), and a beam for the higher bands.

   Bryan, W0ESE, of Holts Summit, MO, is another new
Barber.

   Joe Rutledge, W7ESE, of Seattle, WA, rounds out our
current crop of first-time Barbers. He wanted to use
his Rock-Mite, but, hopefully, I've convinced him to
use his my FT-897 at 5 watts, to give more of us a
chance to work him.  Joe is using a trap dipole.

   Lloyd, K3ESE, in Reisterstown, MD, is using his
multiPIG+ at 5W to an 88' EDZ at 45' and a 302'
horizontal loop up about 50', both fed with balanced
line and tuned with a ZM-2.

   Barbers will call "CQ ESE," and Customers will call
"CQ BS." Barbers may work split, if necessary. All the
details, an easy-to-use autolog for reporting your
scores afterwards, and results will be found at
http://www.io.com/~n5fc/barbershop_contest.htm .

   This event combines the non-stop action of a
two-hour sprint with the hunt-type event, albeit with
eight ops being hunted, rather than one or two. The
Barbers are spread out across the US, so everyone
ought to be able to grab some of those bonus points.

   ...got two bits...?

   for the Barbers,

    Lloyd, K3ESE