List:       elecraft
Subject:    [Elecraft] KPA100 Bias Setting
From:       "Howard W. Ashcraft" <hashcraft () hansonbridgett ! com>
Date:       2004-08-31 16:10:10

The KPA100 manual indicates that the current during bias setting will rise and that \
you should set the bias level based on current draw when you initially push "tune", \
not when the current level settles.  On my KPA100, the current level rises very \
quickly after pressing "tune" making it difficult to determine what the "initial" \
value was.  Repeating the measurement many times arrived at a setting when the rig \
was placed in "tune" that was relatively close to my calculated value.  However, it \
was a touchy setting.

One probably doesn't need to get a bias setting perfect, because you are trying to \
place the bias +- signal in the linear range on the transistor, but I would like to \
assure that my experience on bias setting is normal for KPA100s.  BTW, the K2/100 \
works fine at all power levels and gets good signal reports.

HOWARD W. ASHCRAFT, Jr.
W1WF