List:       ecs-user
Subject:    Re: form.toString() class cast exception
From:       robert burrell donkin <robertdonkin () mac ! com>
Date:       2001-06-14 18:41:09

On Wednesday, June 13, 2001, at 08:21 PM, LeBaron Price wrote:

> good morning Robert, thank you for your response, yes, it does compile
> fine, and it's at runtime that I get the class cast exception in the
> Jserv log. I'm compiling on the same box that I'm running on, so I
> don't think it's number one, I had just recompiled the code I was
> working on, but when I read your email I tried recompiling it all and I
> still got the same error so unfortunately I don't think that's it. I
> did a search on the box for ecs* and just came up with the jar file and
> the javadocs. (the old jar as well, but we renamed it ecs.jar.052401,
> is it possible it's still reading from that jar file even though we
> renamed it?)

(i'd say not - but there always a slim possibility)

i always try clean re-compiles when i get a mysterious error. it only
takes a few minutes but cleans up a fair few. anyway i think that we can
hopefully rule out incompatible versions within you library.

as far as it not being 1 it's unfortunately not as simple as that. A
servlet container is quite a different java environment from your
compile time one. so, you can easily get the same sorts of (classpath)
problems that you can get when you compile on one machine then run on
another.

i have something that you can try which should conclusively determine
whether it's an incompatible version problem between the servlet engine
(JServ) and your compiled version. the strategy i'd use is to remove all
references to ecs from all classpaths until you can't compile your code
(since it can't find the classes) and your servlets fail by class not
found exceptions. what you do then is not add ecs into your general
classpath but do a clean compile referencing your ecs.jar from the
command line. moving your compiled code into your servlet engine and
then add a reference to the same ecs.jar into JServ locally (it's ages
since i've used JServ and i can't remember how you reference a jar)
rather than through your general classpath. restart and see if you get
an error.

if you still get an error, then i'm willing to believe that it's not 1.

> I think you're right about it being a versioning issue, Stephan had
> tried to reproduce the problem and was unable to, and looking through
> the code there didn't seem to be any thing that would give us trouble.

good - at least we're narrowing the field

> I've got ecs-1.4.1.jar downloaded on the 24th of May

(i take it that you downloaded the release rather than rolling your own
from CVS?
i don't think that should be an issue in any case.)

> I'm compiling on a Solaris 2.7 box
> and using Solaris SPARC JDK and JRE 1.2.2_05a that came with Oracle's
> 9ias
>
> any of those kids don't play well together that you know of?

not to my knowledge

i've you try my suggestion above and it doesn't work, come back to me
and i'll have a think about what else it might be.

(BTW this isn't a 'hey - do this to solve all your problems' or a 'get
off my back'  but  i'd advise thinking about a move to tomcat (3). it's
now very solid and most of the documentation and installation problems
have now been resolved. )

- robert