List:       e1000-devel
Subject:    [E1000-devel] Creating a high speed data capture buffer
From:       Aaron <e1000 () zx ! scrapping ! cc>
Date:       2011-05-22 0:47:36

I'm looking for ideas/suggestions if the following is possible:

The problem is that with a Intrusion Detection System using standard
network cards packets can be dropped as the OS is to busy to service the
interrupt for the network card. This results in the ring buffer in the
network card being overwritten and hence a loss of data.

Since the RX buffer can be set to 20K to 22K as the maximum I was
wondering if it would be possible to use DMA and allocate a continuous
block on memory (i.e. 1024Mb or more). This would allow the network card
could to place the data into memory and the OS can process the data when
it has time. This provides at least a "buffer" when there is large
bursts of traffic.

I'm more than happy to have a stab at coding this but since I've never
done driver coding a hint/tip in the right direction would be a huge
help....

Regards,

Aaron