List:       e1000-devel
Subject:    [E1000-devel] ixgbe 2.0.72.4...why try to use smartspeed when using
From:       "Chris Friesen" <cfriesen () nortel ! com>
Date:       2010-04-29 17:36:28

Hi,

I've got a question about the driver initialization.  I have a card
(device ID IXGBE_DEV_ID_82599_XAUI_LOM) that is set up to use the 10G
XAUI interface.

In this circumstance with the speed nailed to 10G and autonegotiation
off, does it really make sense to use smartspeed?  It ends up taking way
longer than necessary to decide that none of the various speed options
will bring up the link.

It seems to me that since it's hardcoded to use XAUI we should be able
to bypass all that stuff, no?

I know I can define IXGBE_NO_SMART_SPEED in this particular case but
that only works if I don't want to use the same driver for other cards
where it would actually be desirable.  I think smarter runtime behaviour
would be better.

Chris