List:       e1000-devel
Subject:    [E1000-devel] Fwd: RE:  IGB driver 1.2.44.9 problem
From:       David Lawless <david_lawless () flumedata ! com>
Date:       2008-11-20 1:14:00

Hi Alex,

I'm back from the mines, and can now spend some time on the
'igb' driver and the 82575.

Since your message was written I did build and install the
1.3.8.6 version with DCA enabled.  As with 1.2.44.9 only one
interrupt is allocated instead of four as seen with RHEL5 and
it is in 'PCI-MSI-edge' rather than in 'MSI-X' mode.  Haven't
tried 1.3.8.6 with the RHEL5 kernel 2.6.18-92.1.13.el5,
this was done with F9 and 2.6.27.1 kernel.org kernel running.

A positive result from switching to 1.3.8.6 was that some
spurious packet loss was eliminated and now the 82575 and 82571
systems are seeing identical UPD data streams.

So far DCA does not seem to make any difference.  The Opteron
2354 system running 82571s+e1000e uses slightly less CPU to
acquire packets than the Xeon E5430 running 82575s+DCA+igb
despite running at a substantially slower clock speed.  However
even if DCA is a bust the multiple queue support will be
attractive once it's working.

In no particular order

1) should the patch be applied to 'igb' 1.3.8.6 and tried out?

2) should a newer kernel.org kernel be built?

3) should any boot parameters be included?

Thanks,

David