List:       e1000-devel
Subject:    Re: [E1000-devel] regarding e1000
From:       "Veeraiyan, Ayyappan" <ayyappan.veeraiyan () intel ! com>
Date:       2007-06-21 17:47:25

I am ccing the e1000-delvel list where many people from Intel and outside can add \
their thoughts..

> > but i never see it setting up deive registers through the read*/write*
> > to actually signal the device to start the transfer.

If I understand your question correctly, and in simplified view, the driver allocates \
buffers and sets up the descriptors (in Rx side) and then inform the device to start \
the DMA operation by writing to the tail register (RDT).

In both Tx and Rx cases, driver writes to tail (TDD/RDT) which signals the device \
that the buffers are ready for DMA operation. After that, device starts the DMA \
operation. For more info you can refer the SDM available in e1000.sf.net.

Ayyappan