List:       e1000-devel
Subject:    Re: [E1000-devel] BUG report: Intel 82573L Gigabet Ethernet
From:       "Kok, Auke" <auke-jan.h.kok () intel ! com>
Date:       2007-06-15 17:44:22

Bastian Venthur wrote:
> Hi Auke,
>
> thanks again for your quick answer, I still have a question though:
>
> Kok, Auke wrote:
>> thanks for staying around:
>>
>> The issue is _not_ a driver issue but a platform issue. As stated above
>> Lenovo has chosen to enable L1 ASPM mode for all devices while this is
>> known to cause problems on the platform. I do not know how Windows XP
>> drivers circumvent this issue.
>
> You say it isn't a driver issue, but:
>
>> There is a workaround available in two ways: driver 7.5.5.1 as available
>> on our sourceforge download pages, or by using the e1000 driver from the
>> 2.6.21 (or newer) kernels. This workaround may improve the situation.
>
> so if this isn't a driver issue, how will upgrading the kernel driver or
> the kernel itself fix the problem?

As I said - a workaround for a problem may not necessarily *fix* the real
problem (and it does not in this case), but makes the symptom go away. That is
why we call it a "workaround" and not a "fix"

In this case the workaround does not disable L1 ASPM in the platform (because
the driver can't do this currently, this would need to be done well before the
driver gets the interface).

Thus, the workaround does not solve the root cause, it just makes the device do
acrobatics to avoid the hang.

Cheers,

Auke