List:       e1000-devel
Subject:    Re: [E1000-devel] e1000-7.5.5 in mainline kernel?
From:       Halim Issa <yallaone () gmail ! com>
Date:       2007-06-13 16:00:43

On Wednesday 13 June 2007 17:53:30 Kok, Auke wrote:
> Halim Issa wrote:
> > I noticed that even in the latest kernel (2.6.22-rc4), they are quite far
> > behind on the 1000 driver, using version 7.3.20.
> >
> > Is there any reason why the latest 7.5.5 is not in mainline kernel, such
> > as stability or compatibility issues one should be aware of?
> >
> > I am asking because we have a machine with rather high availability
> > demands, and while the newer e1000 drivers appear to have fixed a number
> > of potential problems, I somehow got concerned why they haven't been
> > updated in kernel for a while.
>
> the changes in between 7.3.20 and 7.4.x in our drivers have attracted
> negative comments (with regard to the amount of changes), as they are
> substantial (it's basically a full rewrite of the hardware-dependent layer
> of the driver). As such the community is resisting to merge this change and
> we are currently trying to work to get the new driver in other ways into
> the mainline kernel. This might of course take a while before it gets
> accepted and merged.
>
> Please stay tuned ;)

Thanks much for the input - if there's any assistance you need from the end
users, please speak up on this list.

Also, once again I'm impressed with the very quick responses from Intel - this
is among the things that put you guys miles ahead of the competition, and why
we always buy computers with as much Intel-components in them as aboslutely
possible.
Please do keep up the excellent work - we're voting with both our wallets and
our emails :-)