List:       e-smith-devinfo
Subject:    Re: [e-smith-devinfo] TinyDns info SME 6 beta3
From:       Charlie Brady <charlie_brady () mitel ! com>
Date:       2003-10-19 15:29:17

On Sun, 19 Oct 2003, dave wrote:

> Does anyone know where, in the SME standard load, the make utility for
> tinydns is hidden (compiles the 'data' file to a 'data.cdb' file),

It's not hidden, it's not present:

http://www.e-smith.org/faq/#8q7

> or if some other program creating the 'data.cdb' file,

/etc/e-smith/events/actions/tinydns-conf

> I've tried creating events via the server-manager by adding and removing
> hosts, and have seen the date and size of the compiled hosts the
> /var/service/tinydns/root/data.cdb change, but the date and size of
> /var/service/tinydns/root/data  remain the same.

Very strange. I can't think of any reason that data.cdb would change when
data does not.

> Other events seem to regenerate the 'data' file, but do not seem to
> propogate the changes to the compiled 'data.cdb' file.

I'm sure they do.  What you may be seeing is a dnscache configuration
issue. If you are adding records for domains which are not already
delegated to tinydns, then the newly added records won't be visible to any
name lookups.

--
Charlie Brady                         charlie_brady@mitel.com
Mitel Networks Corporation      http://www.mitel.com/