List:       e-smith-devinfo
Subject:    Fwd: failure notice
From:       Rob Hillis <rob () hillis ! dyndns ! org>
Date:       2001-11-07 13:34:11

On Wed, 7 Nov 2001 06:21, Jaime Nebrera wrote:
>   I have just a couple of questions regarding the firewall rules that come
> with ESGS 4.1.2
>   I see the SMTP port is open to the Internet. I just want to know if it
> needs so in the 3 email modes (standar, etrn and multidrop). I understand
> it does for standar mode but I'm not sure if it needs to be open for etrn
> and multidrop.

ETRN is (to my understanding, anyway) simply a signalling extension to SMTP
which allows your server to instruct a backup server to dump it's relayed
mail for your server to you.  At the very least, SMTP must remain open to
your backup MX provider in this instance, although I'd still leave it open to
the net and set your DNS records to try your server first.

Assuming that you have an MX record pointing *only* to your Multidrop
provider, SMTP only needs to remain open to 127.0.0.1, as the mail is
downloaded by fetchmail, and then fed locally to your SMTP server.

It's also reccomended that you upgrade to SME v5 - although if you're using
Multidrop be *VERY* sure you install SMEServer-5.0_Update2-07 via the blades
panel - a bug in the original release of SME v5 resulted in this support
being broken, and this update fixes the problem.