List:       e-smith-devinfo
Subject:    PPTP/VPN user login problem
From:       "Sage Telecommunications" <rod () sages ! com ! au>
Date:       2001-07-29 3:15:28

Hi,
I'm running e-smith 4.1.2 and using a win98 client.
I have managed to create a vpn connection between my win98 box ( via
internet ) to my e-smith box.
Apart from being a bit slow this appears to work ok, I can browse the
internal network from the win98 box and from another machine within my
netwrok I can browse the win98 box.
The problem is that I can only connect to the e-smith box as 'admin' user.
My other user accounts cannot connect.
I can connect from the outside world as a normal user using ssh ok but not
via vpn

extract from log file
Jul 29 10:49:46 fwbox pptpd[22274]: Buffering out-of-order packet; got 2
after 0
Jul 29 10:49:47 fwbox pppd[22275]: No CHAP secret found for authenticating
re
Jul 29 10:49:47 fwbox pppd[22275]: MSCHAP-v2 peer authentication failed for
remote host re
Jul 29 10:49:47 fwbox pppd[22275]: Connection terminated.

extract from chap secret file

re      fwbox   &/etc/smbpasswd         *

The only entry in /etc/smbpasswd is for the 'admin' user

I am assuming that the 'chap secret' file points to the smbpassd file for
password resolution. But as there is only an entry for the 'admin' user then
that is the only user who can login.

Do users need to have an entry in smbpasswd?
If so, should e-smith be doing this automatically?
or Do I need to run some other process?
Thanks
Rod