List:       e-smith-devinfo
Subject:    Re: [e-smith-devinfo] NIC driver trouble
From:       Gordon Rowell <gordonr () e-smith ! com>
Date:       2000-08-31 14:12:37

On Thu, 31 Aug 2000, Damien Curtain wrote:

> Peter Green wrote:
> >
> > also sprach michael:
> > > Questions:
> > > Is there anything known to be strange with rtl8139 (perhaps on 100MB
> > > only)?
> >
> > It's a cheap card; performance and stability are less-than-desirable for
> > most cases under Linux. Note that this is a Linux driver issue more than an
> > e-smith one.

Yep - there are a number of reports of issues with the driver.

> Ive never had a problem with the rtl8139 drive for the nic in my sharp
> laptop on 10 or 100mbs, your right though the drivers status is still
> experimential last time i checked in the kernel src.

I have had mixed success with the rtl8139 driver. At one site I installed
an e-smith gateway with two cards using this driver and an e-smith server
with one. The gateway never missed a beat. The server hung every so often,
particularly under heavy network load (which affected the server much more
than the gateway).

Gordon
--
  Gordon Rowell                         gordonr@e-smith.com