List:       e-smith-devinfo
Subject:    Re: [e-smith-devinfo] Upgrade from 3.0 to 4.0
From:       Charlie Brady <charlieb () e-smith ! net>
Date:       2000-08-23 15:56:07

On Wed, 23 Aug 2000, Stephen Kearon wrote:

> Is it possible to upgrade from 3.0 to 4.0 ?

Of course.

> And if so, does it work ? :-)

It does for me. As usual, YMMV.

Seriously, the e-smith sanctioned upgrade procedure is to take a backup
via the e-smith-manager, do a fresh install of 4.0, then do a restore from
the e-smith manager. However, nobody has reported any problems from doing
an in-place upgrade, which you can do by typing "upgrade" instead of
"accept" at the first prompt. The reason that e-smith did not publicise
the in-place upgrade is that it had not been tested in-house.

My personal advice is to take a backup, then do an in-place upgrade. If
you have any problems (and I have no reason to think that you will), you
can always do a fresh install, then restore from the backup.

> If not how do I transfer the user accounts ?

That's a moot point, I think.

--

  Charlie Brady                         charlieb@e-smith.com
  http://www.e-smith.org (development)  http://www.e-smith.com (corporate)