List:       e-lang
Subject:    [e-lang] Establishing data race and deadlock freedom for communicating event loops
From:       Tom Van Cutsem <tomvc.be () gmail ! com>
Date:       2014-05-21 19:35:44

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

Hi,

Some of you may have heard of AmbientTalk, an actor language I designed
with colleagues at the university of Brussels that was strongly inspired by
E, but with a focus on ad hoc wireless networks.

We recently published a new article on AmbientTalk with what we believe is
the first formal account of the communicating event loops model, upon which
both E and AmbientTalk are based.
The article gives a comprehensive overview of AmbientTalk's roots, the
language itself, and introduces a "featherweight AmbientTalk" calculus with
an operational semantics. We use it to establish data race freedom
(actors/vats have isolated memory) and deadlock freedom (assuming all event
loop turns are finite, all asynchronous messages will eventually be
processed, or translated to E: eventually sent messages never get stuck in
a vat's event loop queue).
For those interested, a preprint of the article is available here:<
http://soft.vub.ac.be/Publications/2014/vub-soft-tr-14-06.pdf>
Cheers,Tom