List:       e-lang
Subject:    Re: [e-lang] Convert Walnut to MediaWiki
From:       Eric Northup <digitale () digitaleric ! net>
Date:       2006-11-29 17:57:31

Mark S. Miller wrote:

> The draft serialization paper may be the right first experiment in
> collaboratively editing a draft paper towards publication. I wonder
> what the proper attribution should be on a paper authored in this
> way?

The International Committee of Medical Journal Editors guidelines
(http://www.icmje.org/index.html#author) , while not directly aimed at
this field, are the most concrete set of guidelines for determining
authorship I know of.

http://ccnmtl.columbia.edu/projects/rcr/rcr_authorship/foundation/index.html#2_C
says

   The British Medical Journal says that listing authorship according to
   ICMJE guidelines does not clarify who is responsible for overall
   content and excludes those whose contribution has been the collection
   of data. As a result, the journal lists contributors in two ways: it
   publishes the authors' names at the beginning of the paper, and lists
   contributors, some of whom may not be included as authors, at the
   end, and provides details of who planned, conducted, and reported the
   work. One or more of the contributors are considered "guarantors" of
   the paper. The guarantor must provide a written statement that he or
   she accepts full responsibility for the conduct of the study, had
   access to the data, and controlled the decision to publish. BMJ says
   that researchers must determine among themselves the precise nature
   of each person's contribution, and encourages open discussion among
   all participants.

A separate contributors section seems perfectly suited to ensuring that
peoples work is correctly understood in an unconventional research
/publication process.

-Eric