List:       e-lang
Subject:    Re: [e-lang] Taming bug: java.awt.Color.getComponents and
From:       "Mark S. Miller" <markm () caplet ! com>
Date:       2004-06-10 18:20:50

At 08:31 AM 5/11/2004  Tuesday, Kevin Reid wrote:

> These enabled methods of java.awt.Color modify the passed arrays, and are \
> documented to do so:
> getColorComponents(ColorSpace, float[])
> getColorComponents(float[])
> getComponents(ColorSpace, float[])
> getComponents(float[])
> getRGBColorComponents(float[])
> getRGBComponents(float[])
> static float[] RGBtoHSB(int, int, int, float[])
>
> I suggest creating sugar methods which do not have the float[] arguments, and pass \
> null to the original methods. [...]
> ? def rl1 := red.getColorComponents(null)
> # value: [1.0, 0.0, 0.0]

In the upcoming 0.8.28e release, I've taken your suggestion: I've added sugar
methods for all these without the last float[] argument, that pass null to
the original. Because two of the originals already overloaded on arity, I
added an informative error when a ColorSpace argument is null:

    ? def red := <awt:Color>.getRed()
    # value: java.awt.Color[r=255,g=0,b=0]

    ? def rl1 := red.getColorComponents(null)
    # problem: Failed: Use getColorComponents/0

    ? def rl1 := red.getColorComponents()
    # value: [1.0, 0.0, 0.0]

        Cheers,
        --MarkM