List:       e-lang
Subject:    [e-lang] The Birth of the Oz-E Project - Announcement
From:       fsp () info ! ucl ! ac ! be
Date:       2004-06-10 10:00:17

[cross posted to oz-e, e-lang, users@mozart-oz.org and announce@mozart-oz.org]

Mark, thanks for the announcement.

The decision to start with a separate Oz-E project, apart but still very much
connected to Mozart-Oz, was taken during Mark Miller's visit to Belgium, in
connection to Fred's "confirmation" proof. We hope this "temporary separation
of concerns" will enable the Oz-E designers and developers to give complete
priority on security and protection issues from day one, while still
maintaining the Mozart-Oz look and feel of the language as much as possible.

People interested in following-up, supporting, contributing and realizing this
joint-effort Oz-E project "To design and implement an Oz-like secure
multiparadigm language", are invited to do so. Mark Miller already described
the initial approach and strategy in his mail, included below.

We've set up a wiki site for the project, to contain the results from
discussions on design and implementation issues. It currently has a single
introduction page, containing a proposal for the mission statement.
Have a look at it here:

http://renoir.info.ucl.ac.be/twiki/bin/view/OZZY/WebHome

The site will be updated soon, to contain a more complete plan. Suggestions
are very welcome in this area too!

To join or follow the Oz-E project discussions, please subscribe on the Oz-E
mailing list at this address:

the "reply-address" is set to the entire list, not to the original poster
only.)

Fred & Boriss.