List:       e-lang
Subject:    RE: [e-lang] Pola and GUI operations
From:       "Karp, Alan" <alan_karp () hp ! com>
Date:       2002-12-27 20:15:11

Letting people write the code for their user agents is inviting such bugs.  I believe \
that something as critical as the user agent should run the smallest possible amount \
of code and should be provided as part of the platform.  Users, and even system \
administrators, should not have the capability to change this code.  Updates should \
only be done as part of a system refresh.

> I rely on my agent to be correct, but you don't rely on mine to be
> correct, (as when we share a conputer). If I deal with secrets and
> assets that others own, those others may specify my user agent. They
> may well not trust my coding skills or they may demand that my
> conveyance of authority be temporary by ensuring that capabilities
> that I export be logged and rescindable.

Agreed.

> I agree that it is an instance; I hope the code is shared. How would
> an adversary replace it?

"Hi, I'm from security.  You need to fix a security flaw in your system.  Please make \
the following modifications to the code in your user agent."

"Double click to see Sandra Bullock in the shower.  If the attachment doesn't open, \
please try again in your user agent."

The code is not shared if individuals can write the code for their own user agents.  \
Even if it is shared, the user is often the security administrator for the machine, \
and most users are naive about request such as the above.

> > > 				(snip)

Alan Karp
Principal Scientist
Decision Technology Department