List:       dxpc
Subject:    Re: HBX? High latency X for Satellite Networking
From:       Brian Pane <brianp () cnet ! com>
Date:       1997-07-29 13:24:59

bduncan@beachnet.org (Bill Duncan) writes:
[...]
> > (If I remember correctly,
> > FrameMaker issues a GetInputFocus request every time you move
> > the mouse, for example.)  If you're worried about interactive
> > performance in addition to startup speed, then optimization of
> > GetInputFocus is probably critical.  The HBX paper doesn't appear
> > to offer an optimization for GetInputFocus.  I suppose a client-side
> > X proxy could attempt to guess which window has the focus by tracking
> > mouse, keyboard, button, and focus events, but this might or might
> > not work well in practice.
>
> What about "FocusIn/FocusOut" events?  Is this not the same thing?  Or am
> I misreading the protocol.  If they are the same thing, then why not just
> listen for those events and answer with the last known value?

That's the general  approach I was thinking of.  I think the client has
the ability to turn off FocusIn/FocusOut events for each window, though,
so the proxy might have to deduce the focus by looking at other events
(like keyboard events).  Alternately, I suppose the proxy could secretly
enable the focus events and hiding them the X client.

brian