List:       dspam-users
Subject:    Re: [Dspam-user] DSPAM driver for PostgreSQL
From:       Kenneth Marshall <ktm () rice ! edu>
Date:       2010-05-28 17:59:26

On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 09:16:09AM -0500, Kenneth Marshall wrote:
> Hi DSPAM community/developers,
>
> I have been working on the update to the DSPAM PostgreSQL driver to
> support binary out-of-band parameter transmission as well as other
> performance optimizations. My goal is to make it a via backend alternative
> for a high performance DSPAM installation. For code clarity reasons, I
> would like to suggest the following changes to the non-binary parameter
> version as well:
>
> 1. Remove the libdspam support for NUMERIC(20) and only include the
>    BIGINT support.
>
>       I sent in the original patch when PostgreSQL 7.x was the current
>       release. In our testing, using the NUMERIC() option made the
>       performance so beneath that of the MySQL driver that it would
>       not be considered, even for very small DSPAM installations.
>
> 2. Announce a minimum PostgreSQL version requirement of 8.1 for non-
>    Windows and 8.2 for Windows. Or if there is consensus, require
>    version 8.2 or higher for all.
>
>       Version 8.1 was the first release of PostgreSQL to support the
>       GREATEST() SQL function. Currently the code is using a more
>       confusing alternative CASE... statement to do the same thing.
>       This would allow all the drivers to use much clearer and more
>       similar code in the dspam_token_data UPDATE paths. Another
>       plug for making 8.2 the minimum version, other than the lack
>       of Windows support for 8.2, is that they added support for
>       multiple-row VALUES clauses, like MySQL and SQLite. This
>       would allow for some more reconvergence of the driver.
>
>       The release date for PostgreSQL 8.1 is 8 November 2005 and
>       for PostgreSQL 8.2 is 5 December 2006 which is still almost
>       4 years ago.
>
> I think that these changes would improve the performance of the
> PostgreSQL driver to an enterprise level while making the codebase
> closer to the other drivers which will improve manageability and
> make consistent and correct changes to all drivers easier.
>
> Would anyone using DSPAM with the PostgreSQL driver/backend send
> me an E-mail with your version of DSPAM and PostgreSQL, the
> size of your DSPAM installation in users, and if you think adding
> a minimum version requirement for the database backend is acceptable.
> I will tally the responses and send an update next Friday.
>
> Cheers,
> Ken

Dear DSPAM community,

>From the small sample of replies, everyone using PostgreSQL as
their DSPAM database backend is running at least version 8.3 and
all were running DSPAM version 3.8.0 or 3.9.0. Given that I am
going to move forward with my plan to strip the support for a
token type of NUMERIC(20) in the PostgreSQL driver as well as
require a minimum PostgreSQL version of 8.2. To everyone who
responded, thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback.
Once I have the basic changes completed, I will post a work-in-
progress patch.

Regards,
Ken