List:       dshield
Subject:    [Dshield] So,
From:       "Brenden Walker" <BKWalker () drbsystems ! com>
Date:       2006-05-17 13:00:33

Friend of mine got himself 'owned'...  The IRC client was connecting to
a server on Sagonet.net, I'm passing along the IP address to them
although I see a lot of complaints related to Sagonet.

I'm guessing the FBI might be interested, just not sure the appropriate
channel to submit this to.  I suspect the actual people aren't in the
U.S. though.

One interesting thing, the IRC server complains about no ident response
when I know I've got an ident daemon running and functioning properly
(tested with a few public servers that require identd).  I'm guessing
these things use some other means/port.

This is the first one I've seen myself, it does a fine job of hiding the
process.  I was able to get the PID via netstat, but of course windows
couldn't get any further process information, name, etc...  If I had
time I'd look into it further, as it stands he needed to get back up so
I told him to reinstall windows...

SANSFIRE 2006 - Meet ISC Handlers in Person -
Learn about the latest in Information Security from the best instructors in the world.

http://www.sans.org/sansfire006

Internet Storm Center Webcasts: http://www.sans.org/webcasts . Every Wednesday after patch-tuesday.