List:       dshield
Subject:    Re: [Dshield] More secure default configurations?
From:       Miles Stevenson <miles () mstevenson ! org>
Date:       2005-03-22 18:23:37

On Saturday 19 March 2005 8:53 pm, Abuse wrote:
> When
> someone that does not have a clue about anything technical and buys a
> computer to use at home it must be secure otherwise it will never be
> secure.  When I say secure I mean it should be locked down with a firewall
> so that the user can send/receive email and browse the net but should not
> be allowed to execute any executable and/or script.  That way the user is
> does not get viruses and trojans loaded on their system.  This will allow
> most users (which will account for more than +95% of the current Windows
> users) to access what they need and not be vunerable to attacks, users that
> want to do more things will need to learn how the system works and open up
> the system more.  As it is now those non-technical users are a real problem
> because their machines have been compromised and are now probing are
> systems looking for more machines to infect or they are sending us tons of
> spam.

Restricting freedom of property rights is not the way to solve this problem.

Don't you think this is a little anti-freedom? By who's authority is the
average consumer not allowed to execute scripts? Microsoft? The government?
Would YOU buy an operating system that did not allow you to execute scripts
until it properly "trained" you? Would you buy an OS advertised as "MS
Windows 2009, it knows better than you, the averages consumer, so just do
what it says and you will be safe."

I can just see it now:

Dear Mr. Smith,

We, the government of the United States of America, have detected an
unauthorized attempt to use a file sharing application on your personal
computer. According to our records, you are not licensed to execute any
software applications with a security risk rating of 3 or above.

As you know, the "Computer Safety for the People" Act of 2007 prohibits
individual computer users from executing potentially dangerous software
applications without proper government-licensed permission. This Act was
instated to keep citizens such as yourself safe from malicious computer
attacks so that we can all enjoy a safer Internet. Each violation of this act
could result in fines of up to $10,000 or more.

We have already given you the freedom to browse the World Wide Web and
send/receive E-mail, which is all you should really need to do anyway.
Because sharing files with other computer users over the Internet represents
a much increased security risk, you are not permitted to do so without
government authorization.

If you would like to apply for a Class 3 software license, you will need to
undergo necessary computer skills training and examinations at a local
government facility just like everybody else. Remember, this is not only for
your own good, but for the greater good of the society.

Thank you for your cooperation.
-We the People.

--
Miles Stevenson