List:       dshield
Subject:    Re: [Dshield] Local DNS RBL
From:       David Cary Hart <DavidHart () tqmcube ! com>
Date:       2005-01-31 19:19:08

On Mon, 2005-01-31 at 12:35 -0500, liebl wrote:

> What I'm really saying is that this idea of blocking by country (tld or IP)
> is not the best solution.

Doesn't that depend upon the environment?

        We have no business requiring that we receive email from China
        or Korea. Nor do we expect any.

        Virtually 100% of email that we receive from China or Korea has
        been Spam.

        There is a REAL COST associated with UCE in terms of time and
        distraction.

        There is a direct correlation between spam and the spread of
        viruses that can be even more costly.

Would I not be negligent if we did NOT block all mail from China and
Korea? Why on earth should we accept mail when there is almost a 100%
certainty that it will a) be spam and b) provide no business benefit?
Total Quality Management - A Commitment to Excellence
http://www.TQMcube.com

SANS Intrusion Immersion Training: Orlando, FL, February 3-9th
http://www.sans.org/orlando05