List:       dshield
Subject:    RE: [Dshield] port 25 bombing
From:       David Cary Hart <DavidHart () tqmcube ! com>
Date:       2004-11-21 20:38:14

This is a top post (above the text being replied to).

On Sun, 2004-11-21 at 09:45 -0800, Barton L. Phillips wrote:
> I know this is really off topic but what is "top post"? I think I
> understand the comment about not breaking threads.

In many circles, top posting is considered to be impolite. Outlook (I
think  - still) replies by default with the cursor at the top. Most *nix
mail clients default to the bottom of the prior text.

The other problem is that one is expected to reasonably prune quoted
text. If you look at my last reply, I did not; The poster's client did
not create hard returns on the wrap. The entire paragraph was on one
line. Top posters tend to prune nothing since their reply is, well, on
the top.

The usual answer that you get on a Linux list is:

	A. Because people are accustomed to reading top to bottom.

	Q. Why not top post?