List:       dshield
Subject:    Re: [Dshield] When botnets attack
From:       John Hardin <johnh () aproposretail ! com>
Date:       2004-09-30 23:44:20

On Wed, 2004-09-29 at 08:17, Miles Stevenson wrote:
> > *I* can't imagine a network administrator allowing that traffic (the
> > various Windows Networking protocols) to cross their boundary firewall
> > in the first place.
> >Don't forget the basics.
>
> I'm not forgetting "the basics" as you say.

Sorry, that wasn't an assumption of error on your part, just a general
admonishment. No offense intended!

> A firewall, router, or any kind of
> device that you use for network filtering has to use N amount of processing
> power to look at a packet header, compare that to its ruleset, and drop the
> packet.

True, that's its job.

> The whole idea of being DoS attacked is that there is so much data for the
> filtering device to filter, that the processor becomes completely exhausted
> and either drops legitimate traffic, or simply shuts down. Do you know of a
> boundary firewall device that can withstand 60,000 bots spewing garbage at it
> at a constant rate? Some lesser firewalls can't even handle 60K legitimate
> connections, let alone 1,000 illegitemate ones coming from 60K different
> machines.

True, but egress filtering - not letting bad stuff out of the networks
you control - is a good, distributed way to deal with distributed
attacks from spoofed source IPs or against certain protocols.

My comment was more to express: prohibiting the Windows Networking
protocols at your boundary will reduce the likelihood of a successful
attack upon your network (thus reducing the chance of your becoming a
member of a botnet) and will reduce the likelihood of an infection
spreading should you get cracked somehow.

'course, I'm preaching to the choir here.

--
John Hardin  KA7OHZ                           <johnh@aproposretail.com>