List:       dshield
Subject:    [Dshield] Re:  [Dsheild] Clubx.biz spam
From:       Kenneth Coney <superc () visuallink ! com>
Date:       2003-10-30 16:53:53

Because they were idiots or not up on spammer tactics, doesn't make them
less of a victim.  You made a presumption.  Since I didn't ereply to bizx's
mailing, and indeed didn't even know of it until I was halfway down the
inbox I would take the position that anyone who received 130 or so emails
saying please unsubscribe me is also a victim even though they didn't send
out anything.  Simply because they are getting mail.  All spam recipients
are victims from my perspective.  (Yes, I know, configure your mailbox to
auto delete anything from anyone you haven't pre approved.  That is one way
of solving spam problems.  However, you miss so many potential clients that
way though.)  What was interesting is the clubx.biz second "test" mailing
went out with the bogus return email, the email adressees real name,
profession and  the victim's actual telephone number.  Of course if there
is a way to tell an actual human not to spam us and a name to blame we will
go for it.
	:)
By sheer luck one of these "victims" was in the IT field and also running
it down when I called.  The implication is clubx used an electronic
business card list rather than a simple mailing list.