List:       dshield
Subject:    [Dshield] NIST releases an Overview of IDS Issues
From:       "Fritz Hayes" <fritzh () spiritone ! com>
Date:       2003-08-28 23:05:15

Hey,

The government, in the form of NIST has released a report on IDS called:

An Overview of Issues in Testing Intrusion Detection Systems

It can be found at:

http://csrc.nist.gov/publications/nistir/nistir-7007.pdf

Here's the abstract:

"While intrusion detection systems are becoming ubiquitous defenses in
today's
networks, currently we have no comprehensive and scientifically rigorous
methodology to test the effectiveness of these systems. This paper explores
the
types of performa nce measurements that are desired and that have been used
in
the past. We review many past evaluations that have been designed to assess
these
metrics. We also discuss the hurdles that have blocked successful
measurements
in this area and present suggestions for research directed toward improving
our
measurement capabilities."

An interesting read!

Best Regards,