List:       drupal-support
Subject:    [support] Drupal + IIS + windows
From:       metzlerd () evergreen ! edu (Metzler, David)
Date:       2009-01-30 16:49:34

I get it.  It might help to understand a bit about what the CAS module does.

The CAS module is a single sign on module that does automatically log people in but \
only after checking with a centralized authentication server to verify that they've \
logged in elsewhere.  The idea behind the cas server is that it's a centralized place \
to login, and we don't want to expose the usernames and passwords to drupal.  Rather \
if the user needs to log in, we redirect the client to another location for login, \
and then when they come back do a quick check to make sure that they have \
authenticated.  If the have, establish a drupal user session.
In our environment, we actually use this to authenticate against our MS Active \
Directory, but drupal never sees the user name and password. That's handled by the \
CAS server which does Kerberos auth against active directory.  You do have to specify \
your username and password, but that's authed by the CAS server against our active \
directory.
Here's what the CAS module does:
1.  At the beginning of the page load check to see if there's already a drupal \
session?  If so no need to interfere.  2.  Since we're not logged in, Check and see \
if we "need to be", it may be ok to display a drupal page as anonymous user.( this is \
reg expression based on the path), but if we need to be authenticated.  3.  If we \
need to be and we haven't logged in use the phpCAS library to ask the centralized \
server what user we're logged in as.  The phpCAS client does this via a curl request \
to the CAS server.   This is the part I think you can replace with a simple \
environment variable check.  4.  Given the username try and load the drupal user. If \
the user exists then great we have a session established.  5.  If the user doesn't \
exist, and the cas module is configured to automatically create accounts, create a \
local drupal account and establish a session as that user.
There are some tricks of course, and the module exposes some configuration options, \
not all of which are relavent, but this is darn close to what you need. If you have \
any specific questions, don't hesitate to contact me off list.
Dave
metzlerd at evergreen.edu