List:       drupal-documentation
Subject:    [documentation] re: Mission statement rework
From:       cbdebris () gmail ! com (cbdebris () gmail ! com)
Date:       2006-09-10 18:47:50

I am new to this group so please forgive me if I restate the obvious.
I'm just reading the contributions from this week.

A mission statement is a vision. Marketing communications provide a
list of features.

The best way to build a mission statement is to make a list of core
values, not core features. It is not what Drupal does, it is what
Drupal makes possible, and what compels people to work on Drupal to
make those dreams possible.

For me, as a noob (barely 2 years, not a developer), the core values
are A FOCUS ON DELIVERING CONTENT -- not technology for sake of
technology -- and COMMUNITY --  not development team in ivory tower
sneering at the mobocracy that buys or uses software.

When I write mission statements I always think of a hammer. A simple
tool often taken for granted -- until you don't have one.

And if I get stuck, I use a mission statement builder (not the
Dilbert version):  http://www.franklincovey.com/fc/
library_and_resources/mission_statement_builder

cb