List:       drill-dev
Subject:    Re: Questions
From:       Jacques Nadeau <jacques () apache ! org>
Date:       2013-04-16 18:51:26

See below

On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 11:30 AM, Timothy Chen <tnachen@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Jacques,
>
> Want to ask some questions I forgot to bring up in the meetup:
>
> 1, Can you elaborate some items on the last slide what they are:
>  -  Execution fragment format

A physical plan provides information about parallelization but doesn't
actual node assignments.  The execution engine is responsible for
converting the physical plan into an execution plan which includes node
level assignments.  This is then broken into pieces where each particular
node only gets there respsecitve piece.  These are the execution fragments.

>  -  Forman

This is a accidental mispelling of Foreman.  The Foreman drives execution
of one particular query.  Dealing with bit level status messages, warnings
errors and cancellation.

> 2, The in-memory format that supports either ValueVector, RLE or Dict, I
> assume RLE or Dict will be leveraging either Orc or Parquet right?

Kind of.  RLE and Dict are abstraction where a particular operator can take
advantage of the nature of that encoding.  Parquet and ORC are really
container formats as opposed to field level formats.  I believe both are
going to support multiple internal encodings within the container (for
example, Parquet uses RLE to manage repetition level storage and ORC has a
dictionary coding capability   Once we start to work through Dict and RLE,
we could very likely leverage one of the encoding formats used within one
of these systems.  The hope would be that whatever we pick would be a cheap
translation from/to either format if it isn't the exact same.