List:       dri-users
Subject:    [Dri-users] DRI Troubleshooting: when DRI is not there
From:       Yannick Gingras <ygingras () ygingras ! net>
Date:       2008-06-10 2:31:06

Hi,
  I don't know if this is the right place to discuss that but I think
that the DRI troubleshooting page [1] should mention the possibility of
DRI not being there.

[1]: http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/DriTroubleshooting

I spend some wondering why GLX would not work on my ThinkPad R60 which
has an Intel 945GM card, a fully supported card as far as I know.  It
turns out that gNewSense removes DRI and GLX completely from
xserver-xorg-core:

  http://bugs.gnewsense.org/Bugs/00129
  http://svn.gnewsense.svnhopper.net/gnewsense/builder/trunk/gen-xorg-server

The error I was receiving was:

  (EE) Failed to load module "dri" (module does not exist, 0)
  (EE) Failed to load module "glx" (module does not exist, 0)

One solution is to install

  libgl1-mesa-swx11

But this is incredibly slow and it disables all 2D acceleration.  I
personally prefer to live without GLX but with 2D acceleration.  Maybe
there is a way to have Mesa replace xorg's built-in DRI and GLX
without hampering 2D acceleration but in short term I think it's worth
mentioning the possibility of libdri.so not being there entirely
because gNewSense doesn't document really well which bits it strips
off and why.

Best regards,

--
Yannick Gingras