List:       dri-users
Subject:    [Dri-users] Problem: Smooth shading is flat shading with Savage/IX-MV
From:       Arttu =?iso-8859-1?Q?Yl=E4rakkola?= <arttu () solvalou ! com>
Date:       2005-01-28 7:57:49

My display adapter is Savage/IX-MV (8mb card in IBM Thinkpad T22),
running in 1280x1024x16bit mode (low depth/resolution because otherwise
DRI states that it does not have sufficient memory for 3D). I am using
"current" Slackware with 2.6.9 kernel and have installed the (one month
old) DRI/Xorg/modules binary snapshots which can be found from
http://dri.freedesktop.org/snapshots/.

When using OpenGL and smooth shading, I get flat shading.

I noticed this with my own application - at first I thought it was a  bug
in my code. But then tested it with several other programs and  got
identical results.

A good example can be found in:
http://nehe.gamedev.net/lesson.asp?index=01 (last lesson on the page).
When not running DRI, the pyramid has smooth colors, when running DRI  the
pyramid's polygons are completely blue and green (or blue and
yellow...can't say definately, as I'm color blind) with no gradients.

Everything else (texture mapping with mip maps and colors etc) seems to
work ok, but if I want to have smooth shading, I must run without DRI.

Is this a known problem or is my configuration incorrect? If there are any
OpenGL-related tweaks which allow me to use smooth shading with
Savage/IX-MV on my machine, I'd be more than happy to know them.

Thank you very much in advance!