List:       dri-users
Subject:    Re: [Dri-users] DGA problem with Savage/IX
From:       Michal Kepien <michal.kepien () poczta ! onet ! pl>
Date:       2004-11-29 20:19:22

> Did DGA work on savage with the old driver?  I haven't used DGA in
> ages.  I suspect it may not work correctly when tiling is enabled
> (tiled FB is needed for 3D).  see if DGA works when you disable tiled
> FB (option "disabletile" "true" in the device section of your config).

It does! Hell, where did you know *that* from? :-) Some more comments though
for those interested...

MPlayer requires the -bpp 16 and -x 1024 parameters to work (1024 may be
exchanged with 640, 800 etc. - this number needs to be the width of one of the
video BIOS modes available; when I launched a movie in a 512x368 format, the
display was torn apart into 3 parts, all with the same content). The subtitles
flicker, but I think I saw a workaround for this one somewhere. Anyway, this
was just a test for DGA as -vo xv works cool for me :-)

Starcraft works! :-) The main menu and the game itself run as fast as under
Windows. However, to get the mouse and keyboard working, x11drv.dll.so
required patching (see http://starcraft-wine.sourceforge.net/). It doesn't work
perfectly anyway - when I exit the game, my display remains in the 640x480
mode and what's even worse, when I close X, it's all hung up once again -
a hard reset is the only solution. Not to mention battle.net isn't functioning
at all :-/ Haven't tested Winex yet. To sum up, guess we'll have to wait for
Wine 1.0 ;-)

>  What are some good basic DGA test apps?

Here are two:

http://www.xfree86.org/~mvojkovi/skull.tar.gz
http://www.xfree86.org/~mvojkovi/texture.tar.gz

The second one helped me to determine that there is a problem with 32-bit
rendering (IIRC not supported by the Savage driver anyway :-))

Michal Kepien